Saturday, March 21, 2009

  • Main Page
  • Pluses and Minuses

    Never awake me when you have good news to announce,
    because with good news nothing presses;
    but when you have bad news, arouse me immediately,
    for then there is not an instant to be lost.

    -Napoleon Bonaparte

    Sometimes I love being an adult. Sometimes not. There are pluses and minuses. And I'm a bad-news first kind of gal.

    Minus: A tire blowout on the I-5 on my way to work.
    Plus: I didn't die, cause a 5-car pile up, or get held up at gunpoint while getting my Starbucks . . . or any of the rumors my friends spread after I called them to cover my ward team while I waited for the tow truck.
    Minus: Tires are expensive.
    Plus: They really had my interns believing that I threw coffee in the face of an armed Starbucks-robber.

    Minus: A crazy-busy week at work.
    Plus: Being a doctor. Only three more months of residency.
    Minus: Which means new orders (see below).
    Plus: I saw a patient in clinic this week whom I've been following for just about 2 years, since the end of my intern year. I called a consultant for her, and as she left she commented on how wonderful it has been to watch me "grow up" and become such a confident physician.

    Minus: Getting orders to a Marine unit.
    Plus: Co-location with my husband. All those 96-hour weekends the Marines like to take.
    Minus: Wearing camouflage.
    Plus: I joined the Navy so that I'll have something to talk about when I'm 80 (you know, since I've spent my 20s talking about knitting). The Marines always give you something to talk about!

    Plus: Being married. Definitely the biggest plus to being all grown-up. It's no secret that I adore my husband. And he sends me flowers. To match my camouflage.

    Labels:

    11 Comments:

    Blogger Jenn said...

    Yay for co-location! :)

    3/21/2009 8:22 PM  
    Blogger Dorothy said...

    Are you allowed to say where you're locating? So glad you're with hubby! Congratulations on nearing the end of your residency.

    3/21/2009 9:05 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm in Jacksonville NC if Camp Lejeune is where you are going. I can promise you a ready made friend!

    3/22/2009 6:23 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh my, I've been reading your blog for several years. I can't believe you are almost done being a resident! Congrats. And if you have to deploy, how nice to deploy with your husband. Wishing an easy and safe deployment.

    3/22/2009 10:20 AM  
    Blogger Claire said...

    I'm glad you're okay after the whole tire blowout thing. :)

    3/22/2009 3:23 PM  
    Blogger Kim said...

    May a tire blowout be the most death-threatening excitement that you see. Yay for being co-located! I hope your weekends off coincide as well.

    3/23/2009 9:36 AM  
    Blogger JayJay said...

    Wow, that's a lot of news in one post! Glad the tire incident wasn't too horrible.

    We will be very sad to see you leave SoCal. Perhaps you will find your way back now and again? Of course, being with the hubby is the best news of all, so congrats!

    3/23/2009 3:44 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations on a co-location! I'm guessing your Dale sweaters will need to be of cotton for at least awhile now...

    Now your years of delayed gratification are at an end - one more big milestone of passing boards, and then you won't know what to do with yourself. Well done.

    And I am glad no major catastrophe occurred with the tire blowout

    3/23/2009 8:41 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    hey t,

    are you going to pendleton? or--gasp--29 palms?? i'm stuck in bethesda for the next 2 years as a general pediatrician...gotta love the navy sometimes (long story).

    amanda

    3/26/2009 5:14 PM  
    Anonymous Rebecca said...

    I remember when you graduated from Medical School! Will you guys be leaving SD?

    3/27/2009 4:50 PM  
    Blogger KERaven said...

    I have ten weeks left until I'm a surgery chief resident and only 62 weeks until I'm a transplant surgery fellow. It's crazy how fast it all goes. And, yes, THERE is a lot of growing up. Congratulations!

    4/18/2009 5:43 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home